Notable Obituaries

Obituary, Michael C. Finney from September 28, 1872

On Friday night, at 10 o’clock, Michael Finney, in the 51st year of his age died.
The deceased was one of the oldest citizens of Atchison, having settled here early in 1856. He was engaged for many years in business as a forwarding and commission merchant, and was known and respected as an enterprising, intelligent and honorable business man. His funeral will take place today at 2 o’clock, from his residence on Second street.


Obituary, James Finney from February 19, 1900, Atchison Daily Globe

James K. Finney, of Atchison, died at 10 o’clock last night, at Evergreen hospital, Leavenworth, where he had been fro the past eight or nine months, suffering with paresis of the brain. The deceased was born at Liberty, Clay Co, Mo, in 1856, and was the eldest son of Mrs. Kate Finney, of Atchison. His parents removed to Atchison when he was seven months old, and his home was here until 1883, when he went to St. Louis and became city salesman for the L. M. Rumsey Manufacturing company, dealers in hardware and plumbers supplies, and eventually became one of the best posted men in his line in the country. He was a brother of Dr. C.C. Finney and Miss Aggie Finney. The remains were brought to Atchison this morning and the funeral will occur at 10 a.m. Wednesday, from 508 North Second Street to the Cathedral. No flowers.


Obituary, William A. True from May 4, 1918, Atchison Daily Globe

William A. True, for 28 years a Burlington engineer, died at the home of Mrs. True’s mother, Mrs. Kate Finney, 508 North Second street, at 7 o’clock this morning. He suffered a stroke of paralysis eighteen months ago while on a pleasure trip with Mrs. True, in Wyoming, and was brought here immediately afterward. He had been unconscious since last Wednesday.
Mr. True was known as Billy True from the smallest urchin along the Rulo branch of the Burlington, to the superintendent of the division, and his hundreds of friends will be grieved to learn of his death. He was 56 years old and was born at Union, Neb., December 2, 1861. Five years ago he married Miss Agnes Finney, at Rulo, and they lived there until he was stricken, when she brought him to Atchison, where he would receive better medical attention. There are three grown children by a former marriage. Eighteen of his 28 years with the Burlington he was engineer on the freight train running between Atchison and Rulo; prior to that time he was an engineer out of Nebraska City.
He was a member of the A.O.U.W. and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. Funeral services will be held from St. Benedict’s church Monday morning at 9 o’clock, and burial will be in the catholic cemetery.


Obituary, Katherine (Kate) Kathrens Finney from June 15, 1918, Atchison Daily Globe

Mrs. Kate Finney, who had lived in Atchison sixty-two years, died at 9:30 last night at the family residence, 510 North Second Street. She had been ill since last October, and bedfast since February 4. She died as the result of septicemia from a gangrenous foot, and that came as the result of old age. She was eighty years old. Watching beside her when death came were her two children, Dr. C.C. Finney, and Mrs. Agnes True, both of whom had been tender, loving, devoted to their mother, not only during her last illness but all their lives.
Mrs. Finney was born in February, 1838, in Middlebury, Vermont. Her maiden name was Kathrens, and a brother, R.D. Kathrens, was an early day wholesale merchant in Atchison. He died years ago. When an infant, Mrs. Finney’s parents took her to Huntsville, Ala., to live, and from there she went with her parents to Lexington, Mo., where her marriage to M.C. Finney occurred. She came with her husband to Atchison in 1856. He was an important man here; was wharfmaster, was a commission merchant, and had a general merchandise store on the levy. He and his wife lived in two rooms over the store until forty-seven years ago when they moved into the house on North Second street, where he died in 1872, and where his widow died last night.
Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Finney; two died in infancy, James K. Finney died eighteen years ago, and Dr. C.C. Finney and Mrs. True survive. Also one grandchild, Charles, son of Dr. and Mrs. Finney. Mrs. Kate Finney is the last of her parents’ family to go. She was the youngest, and the others died many years ago. Joe Kathrens, who was a publicity man at the San Francisco exposition was her nephew. C.F. Kathrens, living in Arrington, will be here for the funeral.
Mrs. Finney was a woman of the old school; her home was her kingdom, and she ruled it, wisely. She never belonged to a woman’s club, and did not engage in any public work. She believed that the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world, and her influence was an inspiration to her children. She lived to see her son, Dr. C.C. Finney, became mayor and one of the prominent men of the city where she had lived for so many years. She loved all her children, of course, but her son, Charley, was her idol, and his devotion to her was her reward. Her daughter, Mrs. True, was tender, devoted, faithful, and the two were affectionate companions. Mrs. George T. Challiss, living in Berlin, was a friend of Mrs. Finney’s youth, and she had felt anxiety for Mrs. Challiss’ welfare. Several hours before her death her daughter read to her from last evening’s globe the letter written by Mrs. Challis’ daughter in Ohio, in which it was stated that Mrs. Challis is being well cared for by her son in Berlin, and almost the last words Mrs. Finney spoke were in gratitude for that information.
The funeral will take place tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 5 o’clock from St. Benedict’s church, interment in the Catholic cemetery. Monday morning at 8 o’clock there will be reuiem high mass at St. Benedict’s church.


Obituary, Agnes Finney True from Wednesday, November 29, 1939, Atchison Daily Globe

Mrs. Agnes Finney True, 79, widow of William A. True, Burlington railroad locomotive engineer, died at midnight last night at her home, 508 North Second Street, from infirmities due to advanced age. Mrs. True had been ill for the past three years. She was a life-long resident of this city.
Funeral services will be held at 9 o’clock Friday morning from St. Benedict’s church. Burial will be in Mt. Cavalry cemetery. The rosary will be recited at 8:15 o’clock Thursday evening a the Harouff & Bufs service chapel where the body will remain until the funeral time.
A daughter of Michael and Kate Finney, pioneer residents of this city, Agnes Marie Finney was born in Atchison October 30, 1861. Her parents came to Atchison about 1855 a year after the city was organized, and her father was wharfmaster here when there was a great deal of boat traffic on the Missouri River. The family home was located near the foot of Kansas avenue, not far from the levee.
When Agnes Marie Finney was six years old her father built the home on North Second Street. She spent the remainder of her life there.
She was educated at Mount St. Scholastica convent.
In 1915 Miss Finney was united in marriage to William A. True of Rulo, Neb. He died in 1920.
Mrs. True was a good, kind-hearted and charitable woman who had a great many friends. A veteran reporter on The Globe remembers that when young, Mrs. True was considered one of the prettiest girls in Atchison. She carried the popularity of her youth through life. Many years ago, when waltzing was the fashion of the day, Mrs. True was envied by all of her girlhood acquaintances for her ability at dancing. She possessed a mirror like memory which age failed to dim and often supplied The Globe with information concerning by gone days.
She was a communicant of St. Benedict’s church, a member of the St. Ann’s Altar society and a charter member of the Atchison Music club.
Surviving are her brother, Dr. C.C. Finney of Atchison, and her nephew, Dr. C.H. Finney, St. Louis.


Obituary, Dr. Charles C. Finney from March 24, 1947, Atchison Daily Globe

After an illness of several years, Dr. C.C. Finney, 82, retired physician, mayor of Atchison from 1913 to 1916 and previously a member of the city council, died in a Topeka hospital Sunday. He retired from active practice in 1939 and devoted his time to his extensive property interests in northwest Atchison. During his practice of medicines from 1894 to 1939-45 years-he officiated at about half the births which occurred in Atchison during that period.
Funeral services will be held at St. Benedict’s church at 11 a.m. Tuesday, and the rosary will be recited at the Harouff-Buls chapel this evening at 8:45. Pallbearers will be Alfred Jacobs, T.V. Byrne, August Haegelin, W.B. Hayes, M.P. O’Keefe and Clarence Smith. Burial will be in Mt. Calvary cememtery.
Born in Atchison Feb. 1, 1865, Dr. Finney was a son of Michael and Kate Kathrens Finney. His father was an early wharfmaster here when steamboat traffic was heavy on the Missouri river. Michael Finney died in 1871 and his wife’s death occurred in 1918 at the age of 81. A brother, James K. Finney, died in 1942 at the age of 47, and a sister, Mrs. Agnes Finney True, widow of William F. True, died in November 1939.
He is survived by his wife, a son, Dr. C.H. Finney, 508 North Second Street, and a grandson, Robert G. Finney. The Dr. C.H. Finney home is next door to the Dr. C.C. Finney residence at 510 North Second Street, in which Dr. and Mrs. C.C. Finney went to housekeeping after their marriage and lived entire 43 years of their married life.
Dr. Finney received his M.D. degree from Beaumont Hospital Medical college, St. Louis, now the St. Louis University Medical school, in 1894. He served in the city council several years before his marriage Nov. 9, 1904, to Louise Zibold, daughter of Herman and Rosa Zibold of Atchison. He was a charter member of Atchison Lodge No. 647, B.P.O. Elks, and was active many years in the old Eagles, Moose and Central Protective (Anti-Horsethief) lodges.
His decision to study medicine was made at the suggestion of Dr. Dan Holland, his first position having been bookkeeper and office assistant to Dr. Holland. Upon his return from medical college he opened his office in the Martin building at Fifth and Commercial over the present Robertson drug store, and during his long practice was associated at different times with Dr. William Bogle, Dr. Virgil Morrison, and for several years before his retirement with his son, Dr. C.H. Finney.
When he was elected mayor in 1913, the Globe’s headline said that the mothers of Atchison had elected him, as he had officiated at so many births. Some of the achievements of his administration were the Fourteenth street viaduct, the first down-town white way, resurfacing of the Mt. Vernon cemetery road to the city limits, a new bridge over White Clay creek at Fourth, removal of telegraph poles from Commercial street, and many others. He also assisted Mayor G.W. Allaman in securing the northeast Atchison sewer to serve St. Benedict’s college.
When St. Benedict’s church celebrated its 75th anniversary several years ago, Dr. Finney was a diamond jubilarian, having been a life-long member of the church. In his practice of medicine he was examiner for the Metropolitan Insurance Co. 40 years and for 18 years was the Atchison Missouri Pacific physician. During that period he held a railroad pass, but used it only once. As mayor he held a pass to the theaters and attended one time. He was too busy then to spend much time in recreation.
As a young man he was an expert swimmer and skater, and held the skating championship of a wide area. He frequently dressed as a girl skater and appeared on the ice billed as “Miss Colby of Baltimore” skating so gracefully that few spectators knew his identity. He also held the title as roller skating champion of Atchsion.


Obituary, Louise Zibold Finney from Friday, January 4, 1952, Atchison Daily Globe

Mrs. Louise Marie Finney, 76, 510 North Second street, wife of the late Dr. C.C. Finney, died this morning at St. Mary’s hospital in Kansas City where she had been a patient since Dec 11.
She suffered a fractured vertebra in a fall in front of St. Benedict’s church here Oct 10, and following that was a patient at the Atchison hospital for about a week. She was taken from the hospital to the home of her son, Dr. C.H. Finney in Kansas City.
Mrs. Finney recovered satisfactorily from her injury, but developed a heart condition which became worse and she entered St. Mary’s hospital.
Funeral services will be Monday morning at 9 o’clock at St. Benedict’s church , burial will be in Mt. Cavalry cemetery. The rosary will be recited at 8 o’clock Sunday night at the Harouff-Buis chapel.
Mrs. Finney was born Nov 15, 1875 in Atchsion, a daughter of Herman and Rosa Zibold, and lived here all her life. Her father was a partner in the Zibold and Haeglin Brewery here.
She attended school at Mt. St. Scholastica and she and Dr. C.C. Finney were united in marriage Nov 9, 1904. She was a life long member of St. Benedict’s church, and a past president of St. Ann’s Altar Society.
Dr. and Mrs. Finney began housekeeping in the new house they erected at 510 North Second street, and that was their home the remainder of their lives. He died March 23, 1947.
He was a practicing physician here 45 years, from 1894 until 1939 when he retired. He was mayor of Atchison from 1913 to 1916 and previous to that was a member of the city council.
Mrs. Finney is survived by her son, Dr. C.H. Finney of Kansas City, a sister, Mrs. Theodore Intfen of Atchison, and a grandson Robert J. Finney, student at Notre Dame university, South Bend, Ind.
A brother and two sisters preceded her in death several years ago.


Obituary, Dr. Charles H. Finney from Sunday, December 4, 1955, Atchison Daily Globe (died Dec 2, 1955)

Dr. Charles H. Finney, 48, Kansas City, formerly of Atchison , died Friday night at 7:30 o’clock at his home after suffering a heart attack. He had worked all day Friday, and did not complain of feeling ill until after eating his evening meal.
He was born in Atchison Feb. 17, 1907, a son of the late Dr. and Mrs. C.C. Finney. His father was a practicing physician here from 1894 to 1939, and was mayor of Atchison from 1913 to 1916.
After attending St. Benedict’s college he studied medicine at St. Louis university where he received his MD degree in 1931. He interned at St. Mary’s hospital in Kansas City, and began practicing in Atchison.
He and the former Mildred Smith of Atchison were married June 1, 1931.
Dr. Finney practiced medicine in Atchison about seven years, and entered the arm forces in June of 1939. He served in India 18 months, and was stationed in California for a time before he was discharged in December of 1945.
He returned to St. Louis University where he took special work in internal medicine after his separation from the army. During the last seven years he was a doctor for the Veterans Administration in Kansas City.
Dr. Finney was a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Dr. Finney was a bridge enthusiast and was considered one of the best bridge players in this area.
Surviving are his wife of the home, a son, Lt. jg. Robert J. Finney, who is in the navy at Newport, R.I., and a granddaughter, Susan Jean.
Funeral services will be held at St. Benedict’s church at 9:30 a.m. Monday, the Rev. Mark Ernstman of Joplin, Mo., nephew celebrating the mass. The rosary will be recited at the Harouff-Buis chapel at 8:30 p.m. Sunday. The body will lie in state at the Harouff-Buis chapel after 4 p.m. Sunday. Burial will be in Mt. Calvary cemetery.